Yes, you will need a Wi-Fi (or data) connection to install your eSIM because it needs to be loaded onto your device.
If you've purchased an eSIM to use on vacation, we recommend installing your eSIM about a day prior to leaving on your trip.
That way, you'll have a strong connection at home, and you won't have to worry about being stuck in an airport trying to find a Wi-Fi connection and get your eSIM installed.
- When should I install my eSIM?
- How to install an eSIM on an iPhone or iPad
- How to install an eSIM on a Google Pixel device
- How to install an eSIM on a Samsung device
- How to install an eSIM on an Android device
Then, once you've arrived at your destination, all you need to do is activate your eSIM data package and double-check your device settings in order to use your new eSIM data.
You won't need Wi-Fi (or data) for this part, because your eSIM is already installed, so you're just adjusting your device settings and switching on your new data.