Roaming charges are the fees you pay when you use your phone to try to connect to the internet outside of your normal coverage area.
Since you're no longer able to your local data, your device needs to “roam” and latch onto the nearest available network ... and roaming can get expensive very quickly!
When you travel, you can avoid roaming charges a few different ways:
- Powering off your device entirely
- Turning off data roaming (instructions here)
- Asking your mobile carrier about adding a travel package to your monthly bill
- Buying a local SIM card at your destination, or ... and we think this is the best answer, naturally ...
- Using an eSIM and letting it take care of free roaming ;)
Here at aloSIM, we make it easy to purchase, install, and activate an eSIM right on your device.
This means you’ll avoid roaming charges because you won’t need to use your home network — you’ll be fully connected on a local network, and you can watch your data usage.